[Buddha-l] Mes Aynak today

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 12:07:56 MDT 2013

Yes the  "higher-ups" are inevitably involved.

I guess it has been going on for years. In the late 60's I know you
could buy Gandhara statues in Pakistan for very little money -
probably some of them from Afghanistan. I have met a couple of western
dealers who became very wealthy from this.

Of course when this happens important information about the
archeological context is irretrievably lost and countries lose their
heritage - but at least the images are not completly destroyed by
fanatic mullahs or chinese mining companies.

If they are going to get sold off or destroyed anyway - it is too bad
the proceeds couldn't be used for something useful like primary
schools or clinics rather than lining corrupt politicians pockets and
likely funding murder and mayhem.