[Buddha-l] mindfulness

Dharmachari Mahabodhi dhmahabodhi at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 6 11:40:05 MST 2013

My own take on this is that there is a common factor in the use of the word mindfulness in a secular context and in Buddhism. That is, in both contexts it helps overcome suffering. The difference between the contexts is in the scope of suffering addressed.
'Secular mindfulness' has limited scope. It mainly addresses the kind of suffering that comes from the way we approach our experience. It has nothing to say about the negative effects of our actions on others: that suffering goes unaddressed. Buddhism on the other hand addresses all our own suffering and he suffering of others (to the extent that we influence it.)

So using the one term 'mindfulness' in different contexts is not very satisfactory.It would be better to specify the context along with the term.
But a 'common' definition might be:
'Bringing awareness to the conditions of experience in a way that overcomes suffering and produces happiness.'
That would apply equally to the four foundations of mindfulness and to 'being aware in the present moment non-judgmentally.'

Mahabodhi
Triratna Buddhist
Order
07973 699750