[Buddha-l] Going, going, gone.

Richard Hayes richard.hayes.unm at gmail.com
Thu May 23 13:10:51 MDT 2013

On May 23, 2013, at 3:44, Jayarava <jayarava at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nāgārjuna does use them synonymously in 2.18 which I read/translated today.
> Have bitten off rather a huge mouthful with this project!

Think of picking up a copy of Katsura and Siderits's newly published translation of the MMK. It is the best English translation so far. I have used it in classes, both philosophy classes and Sanskrit classes. I still think Nāgārjuna was a philosophical hack with nothing of any importance to say (which is why I like him), and am disappointed that neither Katsura nor Siderits saw what a charlatan they were dealing with, but if one must take him seriously, I think one should probably do it as K and S have done.

Richard Hayes
Dept of Philosophy
University of New Mexico