[Buddha-l] an Oscar-winning, Chávez-admiring Buddhist

Richard Hayes richard.hayes.unm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 22:04:04 MDT 2013

On Jul 6, 2013, at 18:42 , "Dan Lusthaus" <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Oliver Stone as "historian"? He's a counter-myth maker, not an historian.

There are two kinds of historian: those who acknowledge that they are myth-makers, and those who do not. Stone is the former kind.

Never having won an Oscar and being no great fan of Hugo Chávez (except for his ability to be remarkably clear about the nature of the folly of United States foreign policy), I nevertheless like some of Oliver Stone's work. He makes the sort of myths I enjoy. But what's his connection to Buddhism, pray tell?

Richard