[Buddha-l] Canada cancels non-Christian prison chaplaincies

Jo ugg-5 at spro.net
Wed Oct 10 14:59:50 MDT 2012

[......]
In any case, all this would say is that some people when there is a reason
or need for making a choice will pick Buddhist and may not make any choice
under other circumstances.

Lance Cousins

One place where I love making this choice when asked is when incarcerated in
a hospital. Here the two big hospitals are owned by two Christian
denominations: Catholic and Episcopal. Someone comes to one's bed asking to
be told one's religion (especially they do this when one's about to go to
surgery), at which point I say Buddhist-- knowing that I won't be further
afflicted by their propaganda or visits. But then, if asked anywhere else,
I'd say the same thing--only I'm never asked otherwise.
There's an old hymn that goes, "Stand up, stand up for Jesus.........". I
never mind saying I'm a Buddhist because I figure it does the atmosphere
good if someone stands up for Buddha.

Joanna