[Buddha-l] Buddhist stupa to be moved from NM Petroglyph Park

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 12:09:13 MDT 2012

On 02/10/2012, Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2012, at 9:14 PM, Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn at gmail.com> wrote:

>> In London there is a big mosque in Regents Park, a large Buddhist
>> stupa in Battersea Park - right across the Thames from the House of
>> Parliament  - and a lovely Pagoda in Kew Gardens. Would you suggest
>> that these have no place on these public lands?

> The last I heard, London was not part of the United States and so is not
> subject to following the constitution of the United States. I would object
> to stupas, pagodas, mosques, synagogues or churches appearing on public
> lands in the United States. I'm also opposed to religious organizations
> being exempt from taxes, and to private citizens getting tax deductions for
> making contributions to religious organizations.

One of the Buddhist monuments on public grounds in London I forgot to
mention is the Tibetan Buddhist Peace Garden located in the grounds of
the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth, South London. It makes a stark
contrast to the contents of the museum and the various large artillery
pieces and other weaponry found in other parts of the museum's
grounds.

The garden was built to "encourage world peace and promote choice of
non-violence"  I find it hard to believe you would object to something
like this even if it were in a similar public location in the  US.

http://www.reep.org/gardens/buddhism/uk-garden-tibetan.php
http://hamishhorsley.com/about/reviews/sculpture-7%1199/

Also there is a Japanese peace pagoda  Battersea park which was built
to promote world peace & harmony and to commemorate all victims of
war.

http://www.redbridgerenet.co.uk/peacepagoda/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2008/09/25/battersea_pagoda_feature.shtml

- Chris