[Buddha-l] Bangladesh Muslim lovefest

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Oct 1 14:28:49 MDT 2012

Terms like "ethnic cleansing" and "pogrom" (along with other overused
terms, especially "genocide") need to be used sparingly, and only when a
situation clearly meets rather extreme criteria. Otherwise we end up
with the "boy who cried wolf" phenomenon.

The Orwellian irony is that the Islamic terrorists in Myanmar openly
proclaim their goal of ethnic cleansing, while the attempts to quell
this terrorism are what prompt wildly irresponsible accusations. Anyone
who knows of a clean and relatively peaceful solution to the situation
in Myanmar with respect to the murderous terrorist attacks being carried
out by Islamists should be in contact with the Myanmar govt, the U.N.,
etc., instead of idly chatting about it on Buddha-l. As for me I have no
advice to give, and no criticism to proclaim because I have no idea what
should be done in such a situation.

Curt