[Buddha-l] more tibetan self-immolations

Federico Andino dingirfecho at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:04:51 MST 2012

> >What other alternative(s) would you suggest? It seems that these methods
> have failed, (1) the Dalai Lama's non->violence, (2) Gandhi-styled fast,
> (3) Thic Quang Duc-styled self-immolation. These methods brought forth more
> >criticism and condemnation than any breakthrough or success.
>
> >A Buddhist friend suggest that Tibetans should just give in / give up.
> Well, it is also not healthy to suggest that >we give in, whenever a person
> is being bullied, harrassed, victimized or aggressed.
>

> Sadly, I don´t have any other idea than "hang in there". If Tibetans rose,
truly how much damange would they do to China? And they would lose support,
specially if the Chinese paints them as fundamentalistic terrorists.
Remember that it wasn`t so long ago that the west considered Tibetan
Buddhism feudal. The Dalai Lama has changed that, but if there were suicide
bombers, how long do you think that the new image would hold?

The international winds are changing. We only can wait, and hope for the
best, I`m afraid.