[Buddha-l] Students as potential spooks?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Feb 5 15:36:42 MST 2012

On Feb 5, 2012, at 1:05 PM, sjziobro at cs.com wrote:

> I figured that if you knew anybody in the intelligence communities you'd at least have more to judge on than a priori notions that intelligence work is inherently evil.

As a rule, I am careful to make as few a priori claims as possible. In this specific case I have no notion (either a priori or a posteriori) that intelligence work is evil. I have no objection to the CIA recruiting on campus. What I found surprising is that there is now an academic program at my university in which one can major in such things, and especially that that academic program is seeking a formal relationship with religious studies. The rest of what I said was an obviously unsuccessful attempt at humor, for which I hereby offer my abject apology.

Richard Hayes