[Buddha-l] Rice & Dragons

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 23:26:28 MDT 2012

On 16/04/2012, Dan Lusthaus <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I hinted at, but did not go into detail, on the fact that online sources,
> such Wikipedia, are being monitored by people who are expunging materials
> and information that might reflect badly on Islam. I use the word
>"expunging" because even a year or two ago that information WAS available on
> Wikipedia and elsewhere, for instance in the entries on [???]

Not only Islam. There are also members of several Buddhist groups who
monitor some Wikipedia articles in the same way - and quickly expunge
anything that doesn't agree with or might call into question their
particular view of things. I'm sure similar things happen with
articles on other religions as well. These people have tremendous
dedication and perseverance  and inevitably wear out anyone who trys
to maintain a neutral or balanced point of view in these Wikipedia
articles.

On 16/04/2012, Dan Lusthaus <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> wrote:

>Pieces on these people are still on Wikipedia, although the mentions of Buddhism only remain
>in one or two pieces, in passing comments. There used to be more. More importantly, all the
>material on what happened to end a very special ecumenical moment has been removed, very
>likely by people uncomfortable with the dissemination of such information.

Wikipedia does keep track of edits - so at least it is always possible
to unearth what was written there before.