[Buddha-l] Rice & Dragons

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 22:00:34 MDT 2012

On 15/04/2012, Erik Hoogcarspel <jehms at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I'm very much in favour of secular administrations. Buddhists are very
> often lousy politicians. Would you like to have a kind of Srilankan or
> Butanese president? Or the Dalai Lama? Or think of a religious person
> like Gandhi, who wanted to put India back into the Middle Ages. I prefer
> someone who went to college.

What has going to college got to do with it? Presumably Gandhi went to
college since he was a lawyer, as is Mahinda Rajapaksa president of
Sri Lanka. No one can even run for parliament in Bhutan unless they
have a university degree. Amongst those you list, only the Dalai Lama
didn't have a secular education - though no one could reasonably call
him uneducated.