[Buddha-l] Return of blasphemy?

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Nov 9 15:20:59 MST 2011

On 11/9/11 12:02 PM, Jo wrote:
> Respect for religion in parts of the East is often enforced with death
> threats.
>
> Joanna

We should not allow the Perfect to be the enemy of the Good. Relatively
speaking, Eastern religions have a Good, if less than Perfect, track
record with respect to religious violence. If we fail to acknowledge
this fact on the ground, and give it proper attention, then we can are
left only with useless abstractions.

Among those who have gone on the record to state that "Western"
religions (or, more precisely, "monotheisms", and in particular
Christianity and Islam) are more prone to religiously inspired violence
than are Eastern religions (Buddhism in particular) are (links are
provided to help identify the people named below, they don't necessarily
take one to examples of what I am talking about, although in some cases
they do):

David Loy
http://davidloy.org/
Bernard Faure