[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Sun Jul 10 12:44:25 MDT 2011

Wow--many thanks for this list.

(>except for the last, where you claim an attempt to enlarge the varna list.  Why >would the text be about that?
Because of a reluctance to give authority to brahmin claims.

I'll ask a bit more about this off the list.)

Much indebted.

Joanna
----------------------------------

 On Behalf Of L.S. Cousins
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:28 PM

Joanna,
> The descriptive lists Artur cited are very helpful to a project of mine, but would someone please identify the source of the text (or texts?) being discussed here?
These are the references I can quickly locate:

three high (ucca) families opposed to five low families plus those in
poverty:
SN I 93f.; AN II 85; III 385; Pp 51

three high (ucca) families opposed to five low families:
M II 152; 183

list of five low (nīca) families plus those who are in poverty:
AN I 107

list of five low (nīca) families:
MN III 169

two superior (ukkaṭṭha) jāti opposed to five inferior (hīna) jāti:
Vin IV 6; 12

list of six, adding caṇḍāla and pukkusa to the four varṇa:
SN I 102; 166; AN I 162; III 214; Pv p. 26; Vv p. 91; Mil 5; Ja IV 205; 303; 303

list of kinds of woman, starting with the four varṇa and following with the set of five:
AN III 226ff.

the five are also mentioned as prohibited terms of abuse for monks:
Vin IV 7ff. & 13

just three: pukkusa, rathakāra and vessa:
Ja VI 142

> Lance,
> My reservations are the same as yours except for the last, where you claim an attempt to enlarge the varna list.  Why would the text be about that?

Because of a reluctance to give authority to brahmin claims.

> Or, if stating lists of high and low groups, what was the purpose?
>
> I'm missing context here. That is: was the text going on about good and bad consequences due to good or bad actions, or something else?

It was about that.
Lance