[Buddha-l] Buddhas Meditation

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 8 07:08:45 MDT 2011

Andy,

> So eating meat is wrong if it  entails these emotions, but to stick to
> this as
> an absolute rule causes more suffering than not.

Same question as to Timothy: Is this "suffering" in the animal or in the
persons abstaining or indulging?

It is very disheartening to see so many supposed compassionate Buddhists
(except Lidewij) eager to dismiss this issue as goat-herding when literally
the issue is life and death, plain, simple and stark.

One's mental attitude while killing trees, animals, fellow humans (branded
enemy or friend) is of some consequence, but not necessarily to the one
being killed or to those who care about the one(s) being killed. This is NOT
an either/or equation.

Which is preferable?

(1) That a deranged, angry, greedy, "attached" individual refrains from
killing your family?

OR

(2) Someone with cool, non-attached precision, wipes out your family and
moves on...

There are plenty of people who can commit homicide with no regret, with
detachment, etc. Some of them we might label sociopaths or psychopaths (I
can't keep up with the psychiatric jargon book, but believe the former term
is "in," i.e., an acceptable 'official' diagnosis these days, while the
latter is currently eschewed as pop-psych -- but I could be wrong). Let's
stipulate that they can kill without feeling any personal discomfort.
Satisfied? I hope not.

Back to the redwood. One might attempt to argue that in general people do
not chop down trees unless motivated by one or more of "greed, hatred
(anger), or delusion", the three poisons. A lumber firm is motivated by
greed; someone with a need to destructively lash out at a defenseless tree
may be motivated by anger (not necessarily at the tree itself, but who
knows?); Or some deluded being, imagining Redwoods are pods from another
planet, imagines he is saving the earth by chopping down the invaders. In
the absence of greed, hatred or delusion there would be no reason to chop
down a redwood.

Maybe. Nonetheless, the redwood itself cares nothing about that, and should
someone come along and chop him down while non-attached and whistling his
favorite dharani, the redwood would suffer just as much.

In stark terms, the redwood (or cow, or human) could care less about the
mental state of someone who kills (or ignores) it. The motivations of the
killer are irrelevant to it, since it suffers (or doesn't) regardless. The
cow doesn't care if the vegetarian is casual or high-strung. It prefers not
to be slaughtered regardless. If messed-up emotions lead to its being
spared, that's just fine with the cow.

This psychologizing of acts of carnage is a thorough misapplication of
Buddhist thoughts on the matter. Much as most current legal systems make
distinctions between degrees of guilt for killing someone -- from types of
negligence, to manslaughter, all the way up to first-degree murder -- Buddha
in the Pali texts draws distinctions between the types of motivations
producing an act and the attitude while performing it, the less negatively
motivated the better. But there are nevertheless hard and fast "rules" --
encoded in the vinaya -- that are to be followed regardless of one's
motivations or attitudes at the moment, such as no consuming or preparing
human flesh for consumption, even for good reasons (e.g., medicine).
Theravadins can eat meat that was not slaughtered esp. for them, but not
lion meat, or elephant meat, etc. (the reason being it could be construed as
a political act, since certain animals were associated with royalty). The
psychological aspect is a factor, but never the only factor, nor does it
invariably trump other concerns. Ask the cows and redwoods.

Dan