[Buddha-l] Buddhas Meditation

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Thu Jul 7 21:03:58 MDT 2011

Joanna wrote:
> Come on, you philosophes--------------kindly explain why this
> phrase makes no sense, or viprysasa-wise, how it does make
> sense(????)
>
> "eating meat with non-attachment is preferable to being attached
> to vegetarianism.."
>
> Precisely what is the point?
> IMO it's humbug.
>
> I ask for comment because this list is ever in the habit of
> ignoring anything I say in response to various posts. Now,
> typically, you are all doing it again--paying attention only to
> what the men among us say.

Men?  What about the Redwoods?  I have been hesitant to enter on this
discussion, since I really don't know what is at issue. One point is that the
Redwoods are doomed anyway, so we need not feel so bad about their being
turned in to decking for the petit bourgouisie. On the other hand, the
violence done to any sentient being is a bad thing, in itself.

But more importantly, why are we on Buddha-L discussing the Gita?   The idea
that nothing has svabhava does not justify cutting Redwoods anymore than not
cutting Redwoods.  Depends on the intention of the arguer?  And this is not
particularly buddhist:  St. Augustine argues that the evil of war is not that
people die, since they would die anyway, but the emotions that attend the
conflict, a lust for domination, rebellion, and so forth.

So eating meat is wrong if it  entails these emotions, but to stick to this as
an absolute rule causes more suffering than not.  I have seen vegetarians
refuse to eat vegetarian food that was on the same table as non-vegetarian
food, causing much suffering in the process.  That is to say, when the rule
becomes absolute, it forgets what its purpose was, and establishes a
universalism which goes against its original purpose.  This is why "correct"
Buddhism is not absolutely vegetarian.

Once upon a time, at one of the East-West Philosopher's Conferences we hold on
occasion in Hawaii, Hilary Putnam made the remark that relativism is not a
position, it is a strategy.   I don't recall much else that he said, but the
idea that we all agree to disagree is just to gain time to prove that our
position is in fact correct.   The question that remains is exactly how we do
that.

And I want my goat back from Dan.  I promise not to eat it.  Unless it gets
hit by a truck, since road-kill is allowed under Buddhism.

--
James Andy Stroble, PhD
Lecturer in Philosophy

Adjunct Faculty
Diplomatic and Military Studies
Hawaii Pacific University

_________________

"The cyber world has grown out of control. State and national law enforcement
mechanisms are not equipped to deal with the rapidly evolving threat. The
complexity of information systems has far exceeded the ability to secure them,
while reliance on these systems has only increased. HBGary has an intimate
understanding of this problem; We know that understanding the attacker and his
methods is the only way to defeat him. This is the core strength of HBGary and
why our technology and services outperform the competition. To us, it's
personal.
And we would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for those meddling
kids!!!"  February, 2011