[Buddha-l] Buddha's Meditation

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 7 13:04:42 MDT 2011

>I didn't, even for a cosmological minute, think he was saying it was ok for
>things to be exterminated.
Timothy Smith

Timothy, I never said he did. I indicated that it was unavoidable
consequence of that line of thinking, and can only be contravened by
bringing in a different line of thinking, which I presume Richard and most
folks would do in most cases -- though when I've asked the vegetarians among
us to raise their hands, there are lots of cutsey alibis for why chewing on
the flesh of exterminated beings is not a practice to be given up.

> Rather, it seemed clear enough to me that he was admonishing the assembly
> to act as they saw fit
> concerning the redwoods, but to act with non-attachment, thus lessening
> their suffering ...

Who is the "their" in that last phrase? The redwood's suffering, or the
"assembly's"?

Kill with non-attachment. You've made my point.

In an earlier thread some while back, Richard said as much about
vegetarianism, up to the point of saying that eating meat with
non-attachment is preferable to being attached to vegetarianism... showing a
good deal of self-centered concern for one's own narcissistic attitudes for
which flesh-and-blood animals -- or redwoods -- are only conceptual props...
Sorry, Timothy, that's immoral and dishonest in my book, especially when
trussed up as a superior moral stance.

Dan