[Buddha-l] Is there any basis for the allegations concerning the "expulsi...

Kdorje at aol.com Kdorje at aol.com
Fri Aug 19 22:27:19 MDT 2011

An Indian journalist lied in order to create a news story that was more
interesting than the facts? I am shocked, shocked.

But seriously, print media on the sub-continent often portrays a  parallel
universe.(Kathmandu's "Republica" seems to be an exception.) News  stories
contain facts that are allegedly shocking to the author, who  anticipates
that his/her readers will be equally outraged, but contextualize  with so
little background information that one wonders what teapot that tempest  is
looking for. Op-ed pieces are often full of false premises and syllogisms  that
would make logicians blanche, but which nonetheless serve to back up  the
writer's (and perhaps publisher's) political point of view. And the  purple
prose would keep most Western editors running low on red pencils. I  used to
find them irritating, but have come to be more often amused. It must  have
been what William Randolph Hearst's yellow journalism was like some 100  years
ago. And not so different from today's Fox News.

Of course the result among Indians and Nepalis who I talk to about this is
that few give much credence to print media, a problem when more serious
issues  are addressed. Few believe them either.

In a message dated 8/19/2011 1:06:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,