[Buddha-l] Denigrating Buddhism

Federico Andino dingirfecho at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 21:36:01 MDT 2011

> At what point does holding the tradition accountable, warning doe-eyed enthusiasts about the excesses of the tradition, etc., cross >the line into contempt—such as Donald Lopez’ writings, for example?  Take a look at our discussion thread “Western Self, Asian >Other” in January, 2010.

I guess at the point where you cannot take anything away from the
tradition. Even Lopez, while highly critical, presents some parts with
a great deal of respect. Personally, I think that this is just a
counterbalancing of the early awe that we western people had on
Buddhism. It is just a phase, nothing more. The same happened in
Tibet; from Padmakara and the "Hey, Prahevajra told me you can skip
the paramitas" days to Sapan´s criticism of Dzogchen six centuries
passed.