[Buddha-l] Gandharan Buddhist Art at NY Asia Society

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Sat Aug 13 17:39:24 MDT 2011

Hi Dorje,

Hm--and how will they indicate  the--er-- intimate bits of the 32 lakshanas?
Will he have extra teeth? Arms down to his knees? Webbed hands and feet?
I predict that if they go ahead with this ridiculous idea, the potential audience for their animated film will be reduced substantially.  The popular iconography found in temples and in sculptures around Kathmandu is pretty conservative, plain and simple.

Joanna K.
_____________________________________

On Behalf Of Kdorje at aol.com
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:34 AM

This just in from "The Republica," one of Kathmandu's three daily
newspapers:

"Gautam Buddha”, to be dubbed in English, Hindi, Sinhalese, Korean, Chinese, Japanese and German, is going to be an animated film and the first animated feature film from Nepal.

“It would have cost far less had I  chosen people to play the roles,” he [the producer] says ruefully. “But I found  that impossible. The Buddha literature available details minutely the 32  auspicious signs Prince Siddharth possessed, that made him a king among men. He  had arms that reached his knees, the large kindly eyes of a cow, and a voice as  deep as an echoing well.
I realised it would be impossible to find such an  actor.”

It is hoped that it will be released in 2013.

_http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=333
92_
(http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=33392)

-----