[Buddha-l] buddhisness

Timothy Smith smith at wheelwrightassoc.com
Tue Apr 12 14:44:48 MDT 2011

Franz wrote

> But Joanna warned,
>
>> I always viewed this trend as a corruption of Buddhist practice
>> and teachings, another example of how capitalisim commodifies
>> anything, and tries to commodify everything.
>
> I agree with this as well. When Buddhist practices reshape business
> practices I am sanguine. But when business practices reshape Buddhist
> practices I am intensely disturbed. This is why I come down so hard on
> (the now disgraced) Genpo Roshi's Big Mind enterprise, especially in
> its 5-5-50 guise. That is a example of, at least to me, blatant
> commodification of Buddhism, exactly what Joanna warns against. When
> Buddhism is delivered to the people via the mechanisms of
> commodification, it loses its ability to critique the structures of
> capitalism. Very unskillful.

There are, at the very least, a number of areas where the buddhist concerns
with desire/aversion/ignorance are at odds with what I call 'unfettered capitalism'.
Having said that, capitalism, like any other 'ism' is a human enterprise and can
benefit from a wise and reflective critique of its methods, beliefs and outcomes.
I think this is where building awareness comes in.  Its the first step in understanding
how the excesses of this (or any system) have negative consequences whether they
be individual, organizational or systemic in character.  Gotta start somewhere.

> But, to be candid, I've had my share of critics at author events
> taking me to task for what they see as my own contribution to
> commodifying the Buddhadharma. They are not entirely wrong.
>
> Franz

Damned if you do, damned if you don't eh Franz....LOL.  BTW, I'd love to see your book,
can you point me toward it?

Tks,

Tim
Timothy Smith