[Buddha-l] a question to diamond sutra

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 23 03:04:57 MDT 2010

Dear Bernhard,

> But coming back to 壽者相 or 壽者想 for jiva-samjna.
> 壽 is (long) life, isn't? So is 'lifespan' justified?
> Or is the Sanskrit version refering to the Jain concept of a jiva?

Context offers: atma-samjna + sattva-samjna +  jiva-samjna + pudgala-samjna.

The passage is providing synonyms or an unpacking for the idea of "self",
specifying that ideas of "beings" (sattva), "living beings" (jiva), or
"persons" (pudgala) are all implicated. The different terms for how we
conceive of "selves" are not exactly isomorphic, but interlinked. This list,
and similar ones, are common in the literature.

Jiva is a common term for "living being", and needn't refer to Jain (or
other) metaphysics specifically.

As for alternate Chinese versions -- and an example of the proliferation and
embeddedness of such substitutions -- a CBETA search for 壽者相 yielded 675
hits, including in Kuiji's commentary to the Diamond Sutra (Kuiji was
Xuanzang's successor, and should have known better). That is how influential
Kumarajiva's typo (or whoever introduced that) became. By Song and Ming
dynasties the Kumarajiva list, using 相 instead of 想, has become
ubiquitous.

By way of contrast, 壽者想 yields only 33 hits!!

Bodhiruci's Diamond Sutra translation uses:
我想、眾生想、壽者想、受者想

Paramartha's translation is identical to Bodhiruci.

Xuanzang's showcases his equivalents for the Skt terms:
我想、或有情想、或命者想、或士夫想

Note, he even includes 或 to indicate va ("or").

Dan