[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 8 00:53:21 MDT 2010

>> Freud's "only a cigar" gave him mouth cancer from which he
> died.
>
> This is irrelevant.
> JK

Joanna,

To the question of whether cigars can only be phallic symbols, but not to
the question of whether one object or event can have multiple meanings and
implications, depending on the context and the frame of reference.

Also, apologies if I was unclear about what I agreed with in your message to
Bob. I wasn't trying to imply that you approved of Totem and Taboo's
thesis -- you were clear (that title only came up again because the incest
taboo had been invoked). I was referring to your explanation of repression.

Dan