[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Sat Sep 4 14:34:42 MDT 2010

But as for

>> (who apologizes if this post is a tad fuzzy-headed, as his six
year
>> old daughter is home and distracting him greatly as he writes)
>
> That's right, blame it on the woman. How Freudian can you get?

you have totally nailed me. Mea culpa. (And I can, indeed--being
the father of a six year old girl--testify that Freud was onto
something with that ol' Oedipus/Electra thing.)

Still wondering what women (and Buddhas) want,

Franz
_______________
Hi Frantz,

I heartily share your admiration for Freud. One of his more
overlooked contributions, IMHO, was/is his theory of ambivalence
--often overlooked, maybe, because it appeared in the context of
his widely shot-down ideas in the book Totem and Taboo. This
concept of ambivalence is what later made the idea of cognitive
dissonance possible.

Anyway, what women want in their deepest, most ancient soul
recesses is: Daddy.

This want is a behavior driver of unimaginable power,  sublimated
but lasting into old age even-- yet as Freud observed, it's
pretty well unconscious. A friend visited the other day with her
5 month old baby, Rosie. Somehow baby speech came up, and I asked
her if Rosie is saying mama and dada. My friend replied that she
only says 'dada', so far. I tried joking, "Hmm, just like a
woman," but the joke didn't go down very well with Rosie's
feminist mom, judging by her blank reception of my little effort.
However, over my more than 70 years, I've noticed this behavior
often among infant females, if not in word, in gesture--and of
course, in self and among women of all ages.

Joanna