[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology becomes unfalsifiable

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Mon Sep 6 15:31:09 MDT 2010

As I recall in the literature, that is precisely one of the
features that makes Freud's theories uninteresting -- they are
unfalsifiable.

"If you agree with me, that proves that I (Freud) am right.
"If you disagree with me, you confirm my theory of resistance,
which proves I'm right."

Agree or disagree, it proves Freud right.

This logic can be used by Freudians to deflect any criticism.
But of course, it has also removed Freudian theory from any
empirical observations.

Bob
Dept. of Philosophy
_____________________

Bob,
I was under the impression that the way Freud used his notion of
resistance, in therapy, was as an indicator of and guide to
repressed material--ideas/feelings/whatever-- in the analysand,
not as a way to prove himself right in the 'having it both ways'
mode you presented.
Seems to me that this oxymoronic claim arose in later literature
written by other therapists and all...popularisers too. It's a
puerile 'gotcha' ploy, not a valuable analytical tool, as I
thought was Freud's view of it.

Best, Joanna