[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology becomes unfalsifiable

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at roadrunner.com
Mon Sep 6 12:33:25 MDT 2010

On 9/6/2010 1:05 AM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:
>>> Erik writes:
> I replied
>>> Which confirms Freud's oedipal theory.
>
> To which Erik responds:
>
>> Nope, Husserl and Freud don´t fit in the same box.
>
> Erik, now you are confirming Freud's theory of resistance.

As I recall in the literature, that is precisely one of the features
that makes Freud's theories uninteresting -- they are unfalsifiable.

"If you agree with me, that proves that I (Freud) am right.
"If you disagree with me, you confirm my theory of resistance, which
proves I'm right."

Agree or disagree, it proves Freud right.

This logic can be used by Freudians to deflect any criticism.
But of course, it has also removed Freudian theory from any empirical
observations.

Bob
Dept. of Philosophy