[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 4 06:03:45 MDT 2010

Richard asks:

>> The evidence of Jung's antisemitism
>> prior to and during the war is not in question. The smokescreen emerges
>> in
>> the discussion of what he did -- what he was --  after the war.
>
> So please tell us what we are to conclude from all this.

Excellent question (not the relying on me for an answer, but pondering what
sort of response is appropriate). I noted that it is possible that some
things may be "fatal flaws", irredeemable. Perhaps antisemitism qualifies,
perhaps not.

Laozi and Tiantai (among others) warn us that things are never as separable
as they seem, that the underbelly is necessary for the brighter parts above
to shine. So scouring his work for how his antisemitism informs it -- esp.
in the ways it camouflages and disguises itself, taking various disguises
and alter egos -- would be advisable before entrusting one's own inner
inspections to his guidance.

What does one do with a partially rotten lettuce? Pick off the bad parts and
eat the rest? Consume the bad with the good pretending there is no -- or not
recognizing there is a -- difference? Chuck the whole thing and get a better
piece of vegetable? Different strokes for different folks. Depends on how
fussy or homeless you are, and how much you crave lettuce.

One attractive option is food fight!

Dan