[Buddha-l] Enlightenment as Dogma

David Living aryacitta at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 13:44:12 MDT 2010

Some of the people answering my question seem to suggest one has to be
openminded, let certain critical alertness go, open yourself up to, etc. Is
this not exactly the same language which says one should drop critical
thinking and approach it with trust or put faith in it? How is that
different from 'Open your heart and let Jesus in'? Wat if I 'do an
ehipassiko' and just don't see it, would I be considered deluded of blinded
by ignorance? How is this reIated to the idea that it takes faith to be a
Buddhist? I subscribe to the fact that Buddhist practice alters a person,
but I don't think that would be the merit of it being Buddhist, but more as
a consequence of proper breathing and thought control. But I could be wrong.

Stefan

Some of the things that occur to me in relation to your questions. (I hope I'm not flogging a dead horse here!) Faith or Saddha/Sraddha in Buddhism is not the same as blind faith in Christianity......not ideally anyway. The metaphor I sometimes use is the one where you learn to develop a certain confidence in a fact or a teaching in the same way as you learn to develop confidence in the Number 8 bus. If the bus arrives at the bus stop at times that coincide with the timetable then you'll be fairly comfortable about using the service. If the timetable is completely out then you'll learn from the bad experience not to trust it.

Similarly the best way to learn and find out about Buddhism is through a teacher and a group. But you won't open yourself up to the teacher or the group until you learn whether they are reliable or not. If the teacher is somewhat predatory in his or her sexual relationships and won't take no for an answer then it may not be a good idea to trust him or her. If he or she is unethical in other ways and seems to just be interested in money then again - don't accept him or her.

As for not getting it after trying it out - once you do find a helpful and friendly Buddhist group then you need to consider:
a) How long should you try it out for? I'd say at least give it a go for a year unless the recommended practices are totally abhorrent to you.
b) Is the type of Buddhist tradition of the group one that you feel a connection with - there are after all loads of different traditions in Buddhism from Theravada, Tibetan to Zen and Nicherin.
c) If the teacher blames you for not understanding what he's talking about then I'd beware of him - a good teacher always tries to talk in a language you can understand. If he just talks platitudes or high sounding and beautiful but empty words he's probably a charlatan.
d) Buddhism and meditation changes you - it brings out the best in you. Ideally you feel "cleansed" and energised after meditation. You are sometimes sharper and see things more clearly. It affects people in different ways but mainly in 3 ways - meditation helps you relax, it gives you "integrity" - it integrates your character - emotions and intellect and eventually it may broaden your whole experience of life and how to enjoy it - gives you wisdom and compassion.

Notes from a Buddhist evangelist!

Aryacitta/Dave Living - Southend