[Buddha-l] Personality disorders and anatta

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Nov 25 13:35:06 MST 2010

Hello all,

On Nov 25, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Dante Rosati wrote:

> low self esteem, like most forms of mental inbalance, is caused by
> self-obsession. mental illness = narrowing horizon. generating
> bodhicitta is probably the most immediately effective treatment,
> although anatta meditations proabably wouldn't hurt either.

I would counsel against the use of anatta meditations for people with
low self-esteem. As Jack Engler has famously said, you need a self
before you can lose it. This is why meditation centers have learned to
routinely advise borderline personality types to receive psychological
counseling/therapy before they begin serious meditation.

Indeed, I lack the time to fully explain, but I find myself doubtful
of everything Dante wrote in the above quote except that mental
illness can be seen as a narrowing of horizons. Sorry to be so blunt
and to now withdraw, but it is Thanksgiving Day here in America and I
have other obligations.

With thanks for the existence of buddha-l,

Franz Metcalf