[Buddha-l] mind wandering

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Sun Nov 14 11:02:10 MST 2010

Jamie et al.,

I take time out from grading midterms to write. During this "moment's
stop" I remain conscious of their awfulness, yet find some freedom in
mind. It seems to me the path toward insight, toward calm, toward
awakening is not a matter of being anywhere anywhen. Rather, it's a
matter of not being trapped in our reactions to wherever and whenever
we are. If I were truly advanced, I would find freedom of mind even
while grading those midterms. Even while knowing there will be many
more and worse midterms to come. Even while knowing life is just an
endless series of midterms of the mind.

To me, the "Be Here Now" practice is fundamental to Buddhism insofar
as it entails a form of radical acceptance of the contingency of that
being, which is, of course, in some ways closer to non-being. Thus,
the now is formed of what Thich Nhat Hanh might call various non-now
elements. In my view this practice can and does (well, sometimes) make
me happier, though that may not really be the point.

At any rate, let us leave Gilbert et al., and instead embrace Jamie's
cited authority

> . . . happy. . . happy. . . joy . . . joy. . .

Stimpy?

Franz Metcalf