[Buddha-l] mind wandering

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at smith.edu
Sat Nov 13 02:07:12 MST 2010

I couldn't agree with Erik more-- aside from the sloppy research (iPhone
as the new standard for NIH grants!!), premises, methods, and
conclusions, we can simply point to the obvious: "Be Here Now" is not
the point of Buddhist awakening--by definition, impermanence and the
insights derived from that insight cannot be had in the Eternal Now.

This is Happiness 101 Hogwash-- Gilbert et. al. should be ashamed (but
they want an invite to the Mind & Life Institute stuff, and are in
competition with Harvard buddies Ben-Shahar et. al. . . .the mind boggles)

This is a return to the stupids. . . I am happy (HAPPY) that I can plan
for tomorrow and remember yesterday-- and I do that now, right now, in
the here and now I plan for the future.

Try not being here now.

Or better yet, try yugen 幽玄 for a blissful/mystical happy wandering
mind. . . wonderful, wonderful. . . Saigyo was a wanderer:

I'm in a roadside willow's shade,
Where pure water of a spring
Flows by. . . as has the time now
Since my 'moment's stop' began.

Get it?

Remembering past buddha-l encounters, vowing to not engage in future
disputes. . . happy. . . happy. . . joy . . . joy. . .

 From my iPhone/Psychology Lab,

JimBob Hubbard