[Buddha-l] 9. Attadiipaa Sutta (Joy Vriens)

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Tue May 11 01:37:37 MDT 2010

  On 11/05/2010 01:00, Dan Lusthaus wrote:
> It is especially disappointing that after a discussion of Nagarjuna the
> buddha-hell regulars start applying either/or insistence to a delicious
> hermeneutic aporia, otherwise known as a pun. -dīpa has both meanings, and,
> while it has a traditional interpretation that probably reflects the more
> basic sense, the other senses dance in the margins of our considerations,
> enriching our thinking. The advice by Lance and Richard in that regard is on
> target. Take note as well, that this phrase was oft-repeated, and does not
> just occur in this sutta and the Nibbana sutta. It recurs numerous times in
> the Nikayas.

Well not really, Dan. It is never found in the Vinaya or Abhidhamma
Piṭakas, nor in the Majjhima and Aṅguttara Nikāyas. So the contexts are
quite limited.

It is found, as noted, in the Mahāparinirvāṇasutta and once elsewhere in
the Dīghanikāya: at the very beginning of the Cakkavattisīhanādasutta
where the whole sequence from attadīpo onwards is cited and the
explanation that one is attadīpa, etc. by practising the four
establishings of mindfulness follows immediately.

It is found in two additional places in the Saṃyutta Nikāya. One is the
Gilānasutta (S V 152–154) which may appear to the reader as an extract
from the same passage in the Mahāparinirvāṇasutta. (I myself think it is
one of the short suttas from which the Mahāparinirvāṇa was compiled.)
Then it is found in the Cundasutta where the Buddha is consoling Ānanda
and Cunda immediately after the parinirvāṇa of Sāriputta. Here too it is
directly associated with the four establishings of mindfulness.

We have already met it in the Attadīpasutta (S III 42f.) where it is
associated with the development of insight.

Otherwise it is found only in two verse contexts in the Khuddaka Nikāya.
One is in the (rather late) Apadāna (Ap II 543):

         Have self as your island and the the establishings of
mindfulness as your pasture.
         Practising the seven factors of awakening, you will make an end
of suffering.
This is obviously based upon the same kind of sutta context we have been
discussing.

That leaves only the verse in the Mahāvagga of the Suttanipāta (Sn 501)
which refers to 'those who wander (vicaranti) in the world with self as
their island, possessing nothing, completely liberated in every
respect'. That is in parallel with the earlier verse at Sn 490 which has
asattā 'unattached' as a match to atta-. The context is one of
describing the behaviour of enlightened beings.

So overall it is found in a rather limited number of contexts and always
in  relation to rather advanced practice.

On the meaning of dīpa itself, we find the simile spelt out in the
Pārāyaṇa of the Suttanipāta (Sn 1092):
         Those who are overcome by old age and death
         are standing in a lake ... when a deadly flood has arisen.
         Tell me, sir, of an island for them
         and announce to me an island such that this might be no more.

The answer is:

         Having nothing, taking nothing is that island with no match.
         I declare that it is nibbāna, the complete destruction of old
age and death.

Lance Cousins