[Buddha-l] Being unable to imagine dying [confused]

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 9 14:10:25 MDT 2010

Luke,

You keep devising elaborate ways to reassure yourself that there is some
sort of continuance after death, as if it were a matter of outsmarting a
certain logical puzzle. And then you ask others (e.g., listmembers) for
confirmation and reassurance. Logical tricks and banking on "ineffability"
or "inconceivability" to act as tacit guarantees for what you want them to
signify and provide won't get the job done, and is not the Buddhist
approach. The Buddhist approach is to go to the source, i.e., ask yourself
where the compulsion to play that game -- with so much passion and
meaning -- comes from in the first place. Why this desire to squeeze
continuance guarantees out of the outright denial of eternalism (balanced by
an equally outright denial of annhilationalism).

Some Buddhist texts call it bhava-asava, some call it atma-drsti -- Spinoza
called it conatus. Until you figure out what it is and why it is making you
do and think what you are doing and thinking, it will be writing through
you, not vice versa.

While this list is called buddha-l, recent evidence suggests that in these
important matters listmembers prefer non-Buddhist solutions, or don't
understand the Buddhist responses with sufficient perspicacity to do more
than cite sources.

The "process self" that analytic philosophy has adopted to solve problems of
selfhood has also been embraced by those doing "Buddhism" through analytic
prisms. Nevermind that Buddhists were aware of the process option and
explicitly rejected it.

That means you are not the only person having trouble thinking this through.

Dan