[Buddha-l] Being unable to imagine dying [confused]

lemmett at talk21.com lemmett at talk21.com
Wed Jun 9 13:12:35 MDT 2010

I don't want to [further] annoy the list by [further] laboring this point but just wanted to ask if the conceivability of death being annihilation is relevant to anything Buddhist? It seems relevant to *something* about life but maybe just it's conceit, I don't know. I do think I'm interpreting Bauman correctly. Can we imagine falling into a deep sleep?>>>>>> What I'm asking is if I were to take seriously the authority behind the fourfold negation of the Buddha's existence after death, apply that doctrine of his final death to my own upcoming one and then add the argument for one's own non existence being inconceivable: then should I conclude anything about the possibility of death being a positive nothingness ("slipping into the night").

>>I'm afraid the fourfold negation is purely an intellectual exercise that has no bearing whatsoever on anything as practical as the question you are asking. About the only thing you can conclude from the fourfold negation is that there is no self that will either endure or perish. But so what?
>
>So, Buddhism is rather a gay science then for if the above is wrong
then there is nothing to worry about, and if it is right then there is
no one to worry about. :)