[Buddha-l] Confused

lemmett at talk21.com lemmett at talk21.com
Mon Jun 7 03:21:39 MDT 2010

>you draw a smokescreen with all kinds of half understood words, concepts
and half read books.
hey, I'm fairly sure I understand what I read. i *can* read, after-all.
>Zygmunt Bauman is a sociologist who analyzes the present state of our
society, which he calls Liquid Modernity and which others have called
hypermodernity. The specific thing about this is that nothing is stable
and sure and everybody has to invent him/herself. He is close to
Baudrilaard, but less exuberant.
what relevance is this? nice enough fact that I didn't know but hey, who am I?
>Time is according to Husserl a movement of consciousness that remembers
and anticipates continuously. So that's why we can evaluate and
recognize a song without having heard all, even while hearing only one
tone at the time. In death there is no awareness, how can we anticipate
death? Well we can anticipate the end of the song while singing. The end
is an apotheosis, it gives meaning and beauty to the whole song. The
same with our life, that is the song we are all singing continuously.
half remembered words concepts and books. again what relevance is this to quoting Merleau-Ponty or making a lame attempt at humorously caricaturing Husserl on something else entirely?
>Death is the apotheosis, it's not a phenomenon, but it is part of our
life as the supreme anticipation. That is why Heidegger said that being
aware of your own death as a conscious anticipation takes you away from
the inauthentic life of everyday gossip into an awareness of being. The
media try to prevent this by turning death into a media event.
A confusing element is that I anticipate death not as the end of
consciousness, but as the end of me. It could be that after losing a
beloved one, I feel I'm not me anymore. The song of my life has ended,
the stream of anticipation and memories has ended. I even can have an
accident or an illness and lose my memory. At that time people see that
I am alive, but I will be gone. I will not be aware of being gone,
because this new me is just getting itself through the day as before. A
person can die without knowing it.

it seems obvious to me that it can be anticipated as the end of consciousness. i'm sure there's plenty of people that even think it's significant as such [Derrida?] though I've not admitted that.
it's almost like the list comes home from work and uses the list to send unhelpful and borderline irrelevant emails to the rest of the list. what really has any of this got to do with anything I've said about Mahayana [which incidentally I don't think I've said *anything* about] or dying or the avyakata-samyutta sutta? it's a diversion from worst boredom mind so no need to stop.