[Buddha-l] Conservative and liberal Buddhists

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Jun 3 15:29:28 MDT 2010

I'd just add to this story of the 'perils of pauline-pubs', that
a UK colleague in Middle Eastern art history
who published with Continuum much regretted that she had done.

JK

Margaret et al.,

You wrote two things I'd like to touch on.

> Online journals such as JBE and JGB show that it can be
different.

As buddha'l's resident representative of the JGB, I thank you.
Now, more important:

> I've just started the process of trying to pull an article from
> publication (very prestigious) that is already three years late
in
> appearing because I'd rather get the article out there than
wait
> (indefinitely) for it to appear (maybe) in a big multivolume
> collection (which will be so expensive that I anticipate very
few
> people or even libraries will buy it).

Good for you! My first published piece (other than books reviews)
was a chapter in Continuum's _Buddhist Spirituality II_, edited
by Paul Swanson at Nanzan. I recall that in the process of
polishing that chapter I called up Robert Buswell, who was by
then a tenured professor at UCLA. He answered some questions and
asked me where my chapter was going to appear. I told him and he
laughed out loud. He then said he himself had a chapter in the
same collection, written when he was still a grad student at
least six or eight years earlier!
When I told Paul Swanson this story he was mercifully and
comically reluctant to name names or cite reasons; he was just
deeply grateful the thing was at last going to be done. Another
year later it was.

Perhaps most importantly, please consider the JGB as a venue for
publishing your article. Yes, we are not so prestigious, but I do
believe we are pretty widely read. And we can get your article
through peer review and published on our site in a matter of a
few months at the *longest*.

Good wishes,

Franz

(Writing from the perspective of)
Review Editor, Journal of Global Buddhism
http://www.globalbuddhism.org