[Buddha-l] Conservative and liberal Buddhists

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Jun 3 14:49:31 MDT 2010

On Jun 3, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Franz Metcalf wrote:

> Good for you! My first published piece (other than books reviews) was
> a chapter in Continuum's _Buddhist Spirituality II_, edited by Paul
> Swanson at Nanzan. I recall that in the process of polishing that
> chapter I called up Robert Buswell, who was by then a tenured
> professor at UCLA. He answered some questions and asked me where my
> chapter was going to appear. I told him and he laughed out loud. He
> then said he himself had a chapter in the same collection, written
> when he was still a grad student at least six or eight years earlier!

The first contribution I ever made to an encyclopedia was submitted in 1986 or so to Karl Potter for a volume in his Encyclopedia of Indian Philosophies. For about five years I listed the articles on my CV as forthcoming, but they persisted in not coming forth. Eventually I removed them and assumed the project had been abandoned and would never appear in print. Then in 2003 I got notice that the volume was about to go to press, just 17 years after the deadline for submissions. By then I wished I had written on the Perfection of Patience.

Richard