[Buddha-l] Buddhist warfare

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 19:18:03 MDT 2010

Dear Lance,

Thanks for clarifying.

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 3:18 AM, L.S. Cousins <selwyn at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> 5. The remarkable thing about Jerryson's paper is that he appears to
> think that the problems in the southern three provinces began in 2004.
> In fact various kinds of insurgency in this area have a long history
> going back to the 1960s. Not to mention the situation before the British
> took control of most of the Malay states.

Yes, that's right. In fact, by the Burney Treaty of 1826 between the British
in Malaya and the Thai, the four northernmost states of Malaya (now
peninsular Malaysia) went to Thailand.

This was reversed by the Bowring Treaty (also called the Anglo-Siamese
Treaty or Bangkok Treaty) of 1909, but Thailand kept their 5 southernmost
states (predominantly Malay Muslims).

Interestingly, the Thai Buddhists in Kelantan (east coast, Malaysia), I am
told, prefer to be independent of the Thai Sangha as they have the patronage
of the state's Muslim Sultan, unlike Kedah (west coast, opp Penang), which
still look up to Bangkok.

Anyway, we see similar British colonial divisions and formations of
countries in the Middle East, too.

Regards,

Piya Tan

--