[Buddha-l] Arizona law and human nature

donna Bair-Mundy donnab at hawaii.edu
Thu Jul 29 14:34:38 MDT 2010

Aloha,
   The good news is that an astute judge blocked implementation of much of
the law.
   The bad news is what the law re-confirms about human nature.
   Throughout U.S. history whenever people felt fearful, whether of an
impending war or a failing economy, the Congress pushed through
legislation to rid the country of immigrants, legal or otherwise.  The
first alien and sedition act was pushed through on the basis of a
trumped-up fear of the French and their revolutionary tendencies, as I
recall, and was actually meant to give the executive branch the power to
silence its critics.
   I don't have the citation at hand but there was a very interesting study
of fear and politics in which the authors talked about how fear causes
people to want to be surrounded by people who are just like themselves.
Other studies have shown how the basic wiring of the brain allows fear to
override higher thinking processes.  The desire to be surrounded by those
we deem to be just like us seems to be a very basic, tribal instinct that
crops up repeatedly.  That tribalism is why it is so hard to have a truly
"universalist" religion.  People keep turning universalist religions into
tribal religions.  Hence Catholics agains Protestants.  Sunnis against
Shiites.  Buddhist sect against Buddhist sect.
   Here in Hawai'i the Republican governor recently vetoed a bill that
would have offered civil unions to gays and lesbians.  The religious right
were admantly against the bill.  They gathered at the capitol loudly
praying and thrusting their hands heavenward asking their god to help them
in denying a significant portion of the population their basic human
rights.  Gays and lesbians are "different."  They're not members of a
tribe whose boundaries are rigidly defined by a very self-righteous group
that sees themselves as the only true Christians.
   I would say that tribalism also is what allows human beings to engage in
the torture of sentient beings in the name of research.  As in cutting
open the chest of a living being with no anesthesia or anesthetic.
Non-human animals are not part of our tribal group.  Inflicting pain upon
them in the name of possibly helping members of our group is therefore
ethically permissible, according to this way of thinking.
   Perhaps one of the hardest task of any religion that teaches compassion
is to overcome the us-versus-them dichotomy.

                    	Have a safe and joyful day,

 			donna Bair-Mundy, Ph.D.
 			Instructor, LIS Program
 			Information & Computer Sci. Dept.