[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Sun Jul 18 22:01:24 MDT 2010

Alright, Denizens  of buddha-l,  I went back and read my original two
questions relating to _Buddhist Warfare_,  and I now can see that you should
never ask two questions where one will suffice.  Some observations and a
little of where I am coming from:

     Justification of Violence.

Even in the European tradition, there are only two justified uses of war.
There are many more unjustified uses,
The first is what Augustine calls an "earthly peace", that is "the well-
ordered conconrd of civic obedience and rule, [which] is the combination of
men's wills to attain the things which are helpful to this life." (City of God
19:17)  I have argued, sometimes without success since Vajrapani seems to have
been otherwise occupied at the time, that Christian Just War is a secular
doctrine which only concerns social order, and that otherwise Augustine was a
pacificist.

I would suggest a similiar stance exists in Buddhism, with significant
differences.  Where Augustine pre-dates the Xian monastic tradition (I may be
wrong, St Dominic?), Buddhism starts with it, and the rather sharp distinction
between the religious life and that of the householder. Again, Vedic religion
is the context Buddhism arose from, and the division of labor between the
Kshatriya and Brahmin leads to a dualism that parallels Augustine's "City of
God" and "City of Man":  the Sangha and kings.  But where Augustine develops
Just War doctrine as a way of allowing Christians to take the reins of power
in the Late Roman empire without violating the "shall not kill" commandment, I
think Buddhism originally at least acknowledges the role of secular power with
out condoning it.

Making the case for this would take quite a while, so I will leave it at that,
other than to mention that the cakravartin ideal as expounded in the
Cakkavatti Sutta seems to suggest that the necessity for violence in domestic
order stems from monarchic incompetence.

The second form of justified war is, of course, holy war.  For Augustine, the
divine command in this case is justification, and it is wrong to question it
(though I often point out that you have to be careful that it really is a
divine command, and not something significantly lower [_Contra Faustus_
22.75]).  But more often a holy war is characterized as being the defense of
trancendent value. Since Buddhism, if I understand it correctly (and according
to Richard, I do!), denies trancendence, it should be impossible, logically,
for holy war to exist in Buddhism.

But as we have seen with the discussion of Mahavamsa by Artur and Lance,
Duṭṭhagāmaṇi goes to war, at least ostensibly, to defend the dharma, and is
granted some degree of absolution because of this.  John Yoder has lined out
the differences between just and holy war in his book _When War Is Unjust_,
and I have posted his list here <http://www.aloha.net/~stroble/yoder.html>
With reference to the devaluing of the enemy, see #3.  And if anyone has read
_Buddhist Warfare_,  I think we can see a pattern in Buddhism becoming
entangled in nationalism, especially in the Sinhalese situation, but also in
Thailand with Jerryson's article, Japan in WWII of course with Victoria's
critique, and most interestingly, in Communist China as examined by Xue Yu.
Not to mention Tibet, which I did not mention.  All these I take to be a
corruption of the dharma, but I could be wrong.

So, my two questions have now seven parts, like my head.  Buddhist
justifications of violence can be listed (provisionally) like this?

1. Violence of forced conversions  (our discussion of the Cūḷasaccaka sutta.)
 1.5  Metaphorical violence?
2. Violence as necessary for secular order (violence of kings, law and order)
3.  Violence in the defense of Buddhist teachings.  (I am sceptical of this.)
4. Violence of the divine protectors of Buddhism (more on this soon)
5. Violence in defense of a Buddhist government. Buddhism as an ally?
6. Violence in the cosmic struggle against evil . . (Manicheanism)
7. Violence as farting (thanks, Eric!  But if depends how much Dhukka is
produced!)
8,  Violence of the eight-fold path, just because I thought there should be 8.

I have learned a lot from the exchanges so far. Thanks to all who have
contributed.
--
James Andy Stroble, PhD
Lecturer in Philosophy

Adjunct Faculty
Diplomatic and Military Studies
Hawaii Pacific University

"The amount of violence at the disposal of any given country may soon not be a
reliable indication of the country's strength or a reliable guarantee against
destruction by a substantially smaller and weaker power."  --Hannah Arendt