[Buddha-l] New Postage stamps with Hindu Gods!

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Mon Jan 18 16:58:54 MST 2010

Katherine is right, BTW--Buddha is considered in Vaishnavite
circles as an avatar of Vishnu.
Nowdays, some of the Hindutvas are also claiming him as Hindu, as
one of them told me few years ago, saying that there really is no
difference between Buddhism and Hinduism. Of course, I didn't
argue with him. However, I keep coming across such amazing
similarities here and there that I figure they must have some
kind of a point. (I plan to write about one such similarity
soon.)

So, Chris---Hmmm, interesting. So why does the Bhutani govt issue
stamps with Gelugpa images if it's not all that related to
Bhutan?  And while we're at it, would you kindly tell us what the
prevailing sect is in Bhutan, or the official sect,
or............?

Best, Joanna

Bhutan issues stamps with Buddhist images e,g.
<http://wapedia.mobi/en/Postage_stamps_and_postal_history_of_Bhut
an>
interestingly most of these are obviously Tibetan not Bhutanese
images since they show Gelukpa figures ~ a sect which is not
present in Bhutan accept amongst some of the Tibetan refugee
community.

<http://www.bhutanpost.com.bt/philatelic/>

- Chris