[Buddha-l] Vajrayana on buddha in the Buddha (Mitchell Ginsberg)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jan 13 11:02:50 MST 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Katherine Masis wrote:

> "…the extolling of reason and rationality; a rejection of ritual, ‘superstition’ and cosmology; … the tendency to define Buddhism as a philosophy rather than a religion; … and rejection of ‘spirit’ or ‘folk’ religion as mere cultural accretions to be separated from the rational core of Buddhism."

That's an interesting observation. I think it is definitely an accurate description of me, but I don't see it as generally true of contributors to buddha-l. I wonder how many other buddha-hellions would think that description accurate of them.

> A couple of years ago after a brief discussion on Buddha-L, there was an appeal for respect regarding Paul Williams’ conversion to Catholicism; on the other hand, I have seen no similar appeals regarding folks who might believe in rebirth or reincarnation, or use mantras and dharanis as part of their practice.

Good heavens, you don't expect us to appeal for respect for every kind of irrational sloppy thinking in the world, do you?

> I would like to see more tolerance and respect for this on Buddha-L.

There would probably be more tolerance and respect on buddha-l if we didn't have so many Republicans on the list.

Richard