[Buddha-l] Vajrayana on buddha in the Buddha (Mitchell Ginsberg)

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 13 08:31:27 MST 2010

Bernhard,

Practicing the Buddhadharma may take many different forms for many different people.  Mitchell’s friend has every right to practice it in his own way and to have curiosity about issues that leave you cold.

Natalie Quli seems to have been describing Buddha-L on page 11 of her recently-discussed article:

"…the extolling of reason and rationality; a rejection of ritual, ‘superstition’ and cosmology; … the tendency to define Buddhism as a philosophy rather than a religion; … and rejection of ‘spirit’ or ‘folk’ religion as mere cultural accretions to be separated from the rational core of Buddhism."

A couple of years ago after a brief discussion on Buddha-L, there was an appeal for respect regarding Paul Williams’ conversion to Catholicism; on the other hand, I have seen no similar appeals regarding folks who might believe in rebirth or reincarnation, or use mantras and dharanis as part of their practice.  Even belief in miracles might have a place in some folks’ practice.  That is their right.  I would like to see more tolerance and respect for this on Buddha-L.

Katherine Masis
San Jose, Costa Rica