[Buddha-l] OṂ MAṆI PAD ME HŪṂ (was: Re: "Western Self, Asian Other" )

Chris Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Sat Jan 2 22:57:32 MST 2010

Dan Lusthaus wrote:

>... There are, it seems
> to me, three major drawbacks to this interpretation. In order to connect the
> formula to an orthodox fivefold scheme of buddhas, it becomes necessary to
> lengthen the formula by the arbitrary addition of the extra syllable Hrih
> (the associated bija, or “seed syllable,” which is traditionally used as a
> symbol of the potentiality of Avalokitesvara or that from which the
> bodhisattva may manifest).

In the Tibetan tradition the *six* Buddhas that the syllables of the
saḍakṣara mantra of Avalokiteśvara, OṂ MAṆI PAD ME HŪṂ, are associated
with are the six nirmāṇakāya muni (sprul-sku  thub-drug)~ aspects of
Buddha (/Avalokiteśvara) said to manifest in the six realms of living
beings:

1. OṂ with Indraśakra - the muni of the gods realm

2. MA with Vemacitra - the muni of the anti-gods realm

3. ṆI with Śhākyasiṃha or Śhākyamuni - the muni of the human realm

4. PAD with Stirasiṃha -the muni of the animals realm

5. ME with Jvālamukha - the muni of the anguished spirits realm

6. HŪṂ with Yama Dharmarāja - the muni of the hell realm

Mindfully reciting this mantra is beleived to purify the defilement
assosiated with each realm (1. pride 2. envy 3. attachment, 4.
ignorance, 5. greed, 6. anger); thus to help liberate beings in each of
these six realms and to cut off future rebirth in each of these realms
for oneself. This is the "meaning" of the mantra which has been
consitently taught by Tibetan lamas for well over a thousand years and
the understanding of Tibetans who recite it with faith in its efficacy.

Each of these six muni is normally represented and visualised as a
peaceful standing Buddha of a particular colour (1. white, 2. green, 3.
golden-yellow, 4. blue, 5. red, 6. black) holding an article
symbolically associated with the way Buddha conveys Dharma in each realm.

There are several ancient iconographic forms of Avalokiteśvara depicted
in the centre of a six petalled lotus surrounded by these six
nirmāṇakāya muni ~ one on each petal.

The HRĪḤ from which the six syllables emanate, is of course associated
with Avalokiteśvara from whom the six muni emanate.

- Chris