[Buddha-l] Refuge in what?

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 23:18:12 MST 2010

Hi Dan,

The Pali Buddha remained firm and explicit about things he didn't "say" or
> endorse, that others, in their zeal for liberation, were eager to put in
> his
> mouth. Please read the Tevijja Sutta of the Digha Nikaya, and then we can
> discuss what is or isn't helpful. (Send a copy to Peter Masefield, too)

Isn't refuge in the Pali Buddha a bit limited? How can a Buddha stuck in a
certain area, a certain time, a certain language and a couple of aphorisms
protect us poor Buddhists now? Wouldn't we need a Buddha (however firm and
explicit he may have been) transcending geography, time, language and
doctrines to protect us now and in the future? You must already feel a bit
cramped in that little room, why limit yourself even more by sitting only at
the Pali table?

This Pali Buddha sounds a bit defensive and must have felt a bit threatened
if he had to keep repeating "I didn't say that!". Can those who feel
threatened themselves be a proper refuge? Besides, what words have and what
words haven't been put in the Pali Buddha's mouth? Please tell us. My guess
would be that all words as we know them have been put in the Pali Budda's
mouth.

Joy