[Buddha-l] Refuge in what?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 27 11:26:31 MST 2010

Joy wrote:

> Well, I don't find those categorisations (Buddhist, more Buddhistic,
> Hindu...) very helpful.

The Pali Buddha remained firm and explicit about things he didn't "say" or
endorse, that others, in their zeal for liberation, were eager to put in his
mouth. Please read the Tevijja Sutta of the Digha Nikaya, and then we can
discuss what is or isn't helpful. (Send a copy to Peter Masefield, too)

> Now refuge. What does a Buddhist in the room on the right side of the hall
> take refuge in? What does he do when he takes refuge? What does he take
> refuge in. What makes that the refuge "works"? What is the refuge
> protecting him from or what does he think it is protecting him from? etc.
> etc.

Please tell us?

Dan