[Buddha-l] Non-Arising

alx437 at charter.net alx437 at charter.net
Wed Feb 24 09:54:06 MST 2010

Dear Bernhard,

    I'm glad that this thread has been revived, it has saved us from further discussion of hemorrhoids at least. My impression of ksanti is that it can usually be translated as tolerance or patience. In the anutpattika-ksanti that started this whole thing off, it suggests that although one can come to understand the idea, and even have a direct experience of it, one is never quite comfortable with it, as the idea/experience of having one's conceptual structures undermined is deeply unsettling. So I disagree with Dan about this. Perhaps I am mistaken.
     As for the role of the emotions, Joanna's concern, it seems fairly clear that in Indian religion, at the time of the Upanishads, and going into the early phase of Buddhism at least, there was a generally negative attitude towards emotional involvement. Detachment was the order of the day. I think this is indicated by the division of the world realms into the realm of desire (the kama-dhatu), the form realm, and the formless realm. I believe that the main distinction between the desire realm and the form realm is that in the form realm one has less emotional involvement with experience, though an Abhidharma scholar would be better able to clarify this.
    I guess that is all I have for now, hope that you will find it helpful.

                   All the best,      Alex Naughton