[Buddha-l] Meanwhile in a small island called Singapore

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 9 13:53:23 MST 2010

Erik asks:
> is it because of the typical sitting position,
> legs horizontal and body upright or the crosslegged position, or is it
> the sitting itself or perhaps the quality of the cushions? Many blue
> collar workers are also sitting the whole day and I never heard of
> problems in that area.

Good questions. Not being a physiologist, nor a proctologist, I don't know,
but I assume it has something to do with the position (blood largely cut off
from the lower extremities) and the duration.

In the US it is white collar workers who sit on their duffs most of the day.
Blue collar workers are on their feet doing manual labor. But the white
collar workers do try not sit motionless.

I did work (many years ago) in a hospital, so I am very familiar with the
fact that it is important to not have constant pressure against the same
spot, Bedridden patients have to be "rotated" frequently or they develop
huge and ugly gaping bed sores (ulcers) on the part that had greatest
contact with the bed. Hemorrhoids are not ulcers, but sitting in a way that
the gravitational terminus of the blood flow is the perineum area could be a
contributing factor.

Any proctologists on this list who can provide a more informed explanation?

Not sure that western MDs would have conducted this sort of study -- not
that many zafu sqatters in the West, and those that would end up being
treated for hemorrhoids might not be sure how they got them. MDs are usually
not that interested in a specific hemorrhoid etiology, but rather in
deciding on a preferred treatment (ointment, surgery, bands, etc.). Unless
you walk into the office with shaven head wearing a robe, "Are you a
meditating monk/nun?" will probably not be one of the checklist questions
they would be inclined to ask.

Dan