[Buddha-l] FW: Stephen Batchelor --video--seminars on

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Apr 27 16:38:54 MDT 2010

Hans Gijsen wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Curt Steinmetz wrote:
>

>> Does anyone know why Batchelor broke with Goenka?
>>

> Did he?
>

>> Batchelor claims to
>> practice vipassana in the style of Goenka, but he actually only attended
>> one Goenka retreat back in his 20's, and they parted company after that,
>> and not on good terms.
>>

> Does he make this claim?
> Did they part not on good terms?
>
> In Batchelor’s book ‘The Faith to Doubt’ he clearly states that this rather short 10-day retreat with Goenka had an ‘overwhelming impact’ on him, his ‘consciousness was unquestionably altered’ and he gained ‘direct experiential insights into the meaning of the Buddhist teachings’.

In a 1996 interview, Batchelor stated that during the whole time he was
supposedly studying Tibetan Buddhism, he was, in fact, practicing what
he imagined "Goenka-style vipassana" to be:

"I had actually, throughout this period as a monk in the Tibetan
tradition, been practicing vipassana [insight meditation] in the Goenka
style."

The interviewer then asked: "As a Tibetan monk, you were practicing
Goenka-style vipassana?"

Stephen: "Yes. Goenka came to Dharamsala in 1974 or 1975, shortly after
I was ordained, and I did a 10-day vipassana retreat with him. It
completely turned my whole view of Buddhism around, because it then
became clear that one could actually, in a relatively short period of
time, enter into a meditative state that really altered one's quality of
experience. The mind slowed down and became still, and one saw things in
another way. This was quite different from what the geshes would say,
and certainly it was more immediately effective than any of the
meditations I was doing with the Tibetans."

Interviewer: "Was there any conflict or difficulty around mixing the
practices?"

Stephen: "Yes and no. There was a conflict in the sense that this
practice was not really understood by the Tibetans, and also not
regarded as being of any great significance. Yet, it was tolerated. The
Tibetan Lamas realized it was not incompatible with what they were
doing, but it certainly didn't fit into their scheme of things. But I
had run into a certain conflict with Goenka, so I chose to stay in my
Tibetan training but to continue the vipassana practice. But that
quality of satipatthana [mindfulness] never left me, and that is really
what I wanted to develop. But I did find an element in the vipassana
practice that was a somewhat passive observation, whereas I found the
Zen approach—particularly as I found it taught in Korea—to be a more
dynamic inquiry. That appealed to me because it valued a deep kind of
existential question which I didn't find in Tibetan Buddhism or (at that
time at least) in the Theravada approach either. Therefore I chose to go
to Korea, and found it exactly what I wanted. I was very, very happy
there; I stayed for the last three years of Master Kusan's life, and
then for another year to try and help keep the International Meditation
Center going. It was at that point that Martine and I decided that we
wanted to return to the West."

The interview is here:
http://www.dharma.org/ij/archives/1996b/batchelor.htm

Curt