[Buddha-l] As Swami goes, so goes the nation? (Dan Lusthaus and Richard P. Hayes)

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 12:15:12 MDT 2010

Hello Dan and Richard and all,

Would there be a basic rendering and explanation/gloss of the two terms here (parikalpita and parinispanna), to stay focused on the substantive distinction here? I see for parikalpita: decided, fixed, determined, imagined, wished for, invented, etc. And for parinispanna: developed, perfect, from a root meaning changing or turning into, (and perhaps manifesting?). This suggests that the textual usages might be critical in evaluating which features of these meanings are in focus.

Also, I marvel at how two people I respect and whose knowledge I appreciate can have such a long-standing jousting interaction. There is a friendliness and simultaneously an in-your-face-ness about it (as I read these postings); I can't tell how harsh it really is, and I do not know the history behind it, if there is one. I wish you both well, whatever it is about. Maybe it's just US East Coast wit.

Mitchell
Homepage (updated April 14, 2010): http://jinavamsa.com
See also http://jinavamsa.com/mentalhealth.html

> Richard
Spoken as one who really can't tell the difference between parikalpita and
parinispanna. Thanks for illustrating the point.
Dan