[Buddha-l] The Pali-Tibet Connection

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 13:16:30 MDT 2009

Hello all,
A friend asked me a question. I gave him my reply but said I'd check with someone who knew more about the Tibetan Canon.
His question:
Is the entire Pali Canon essentially in the Tibetan Buddhist Canon, just translated into Sanskrit?

Would anyone like to give some basic information on this?
(I was also wondering about other texts such as Apabhramsha texts and whether they were rendered into Tibetan, but that's not in his question per se.
And are there Sanskrit texts at all in the Tibetan Canon? I thought there were Tibetan translations of Sanskrit texts, instead.)
Thank you!
Mitchell